Question:

From Ontario, Canada:

My son, aged 7, woke up yesterday sick, feverish, nauseous, tired. After extra 4 hours sleep, he awoke, hungry, thirsty, and with sweet breath. As a pharmacist, I recognized the signs and tested his blood. My sister is type 1 diabetic, diagnosed at 19. His reading was 11.8 mmol/l [212 mg/dl]. He continued to eat continually and 60 minutes later was 8.1. 90 minutes later, he was 6.0 while he continued to eat a lot. I'm worried about the 11.8. My doctor has referred me to a pediatrician, but he is not too concerned since his blood glucose came down so quickly while continuing to eat. He feels that his blood glucose was so high because he was experiencing stress (probably fighting something viral explaining his general unwell feeling). He was perfectly healthy day before and today. My concern is that 11.8 reading. What should I do to see if he is showing signs of poor glucose tolerance? I will ask the pediatrician to do glucose tolerance test next week. I have read about the Diabetes Prevention Program which is being tested - small doses of insulin to prevent diabetes in those with high chance of developing it. Can you give me any help? Am I just an overreactive mother or are there certain things my doctors should be looking at to watch out for my son for the future?

Answer:

11.8 is obviously elevated. I would tend to agree with your physician that the falling glucose in the face of food is encouraging. It could be stress related.

Will he get diabetes? You could participate in the DPT trial by having blood sent to a center for analysis. I don't know about sites near you. The headquarters for DPT is at the University of Miami, Miami, Florida. They could give you the closest participating center.

You could follow his blood glucose over time yourself. If signs and symptoms of diabetes present, be certain to test/call the doctor.

Does he need a glucose tolerance test? Likely not, as it isn't needed to diagnose diabetes, is no fun for the patient or the mother, and likely won't be diagnostic.