Question:

From Melbourne, Victoria, Australia:

My mum said I might have diabetes. She had a sister who had it. I heard from a friend they have to take some blood. I have a phobia of needles so I wanted to check out with you guys if I might have diabetes before I get my sugar levels checked. I have cravings for sugar and I faint if I don't eat every 4 hours. Like I've lost a lot of weight but I eat a lot. I'm like really moody and weak, my legs especially. I know I'm probably wasting your time but I'm really scared. I heard they can cut your legs off and stuff. Thanks for your help. I'm 14 and about 5 foot 6.

Answer:

Try not to be afraid. Your symptoms could indicate diabetes, but they could also indicate something altogether different. Have you seen a doctor yet?

Sometimes you find that what you fear never happens. If you are indeed diagnosed with diabetes, do not assume that your legs will be amputated! Listen only to people who are trained in diabetes care.

CMB