From Republic of Argentina:

I am the mother of a daughter, who is 10 years old and is an insulin dependent diabetic type 1. Her daily units are very low, using NPH insulin, without correction of "current insulin" and I would like to know what are the latest advances about this type of insulin resistance. The disease data from recently with the possibility of a relative functioning pancreas, it that permits approaching the low quantity of units.

I'd appreciate whatever information you can offer me. Thanks for your effort.

The most likely explanation for your daughter's low requirement for insulin six months after diagnosis is that she does indeed have Type 1A or autoimmune diabetes; but that she is still making some of her own insulin: a stage that may last for many weeks, even months; but which always needs some insulin. Another possibility is that she has Type 1B diabetes, a disorder that starts off needing insulin; but in which the insulin dose may progressively diminish so that management can often be achieved with oral medicines or even by diet and exercise. This variety is more common in children of Spanish descent.

To tell which type you need to ask your doctor about getting an antibody test. I am not sure if there is a laboratory in Argentina that does this test; but you could call 1-800-425-8361 in the U.S. for help. More detailed diagnosis of the Type 1B variety is hard to achieve and really doesn't make a difference to management.

It is beyond the scope of e-mail to describe all the recent advances in insulin therapy; but I think you might be helped a lot by keeping in touch with this website and by copying the manual, Understanding Insulin-Dependent Diabetes by H. Peter Chase, M.D.

Posted to Honeymoon