Question:

From America On-Line:

I have a question about Olestra. My concern is with the blocking of nutrients absorbed by the digestive tract and the absorption of vitamins. My question is, how does Olestra affect the body? Is there a half-life? So if I eat a great healthy balanced meal, 3-4 hours later, are the effects of consuming this product earlier in the day a major concern, with respect to the absorption of the vitamins and nutrients of this healthy meal?

Answer:

Yes, there can be a problem with absorption of the fat-soluble vitamins if using Olestra. These include Vitamins A, D, E, and K. We are not sure how much of these vitamins is actually tied up and then excreted without being used, but certainly moderation in use of any Olestra products is warranted.

LSF