From Tyler, Texas, USA:

I am a school nurse and have a 7 year old boy with Type 1 diabetes in my school. Please help with suggestions for snacks.

He frequently refuses to eat breakfast at home and many days all Mom can get him to consume before school is a juice box. He comes to be for his midmorning snack and blood sugar testing at 9:30. Many times the snack Mom sends is a fruit wrap or fruit roll-up. We have talked many times about diet and the necessity of protein in the diet and decreased sugar but Mom only counts carbohydrates. Please offer suggestions. Also helpful would be "free snacks". The entire class has a snack after returning from P.E. We need something for this young man to eat with others in his class.

I am glad you are asking questions and wanting to know more about diabetes. Actually the meal plan the Mom and her diabetes team has worked out is probably one of counting carbohydrates where sugars are not prohibited, they are just worked into the meal plan. Studies have found that sugars do not raise the blood glucoses as much as we had thought, so if the little boy only has juice for breakfast, that should be OK. The Mom is hopefully giving him the correct amount of juice to make up for missed toast or cereal.

However if you see he is having a low blood glucose shortly after he gets to school, I think you should talk with the Mom. Then the diabetes team working with the boy should be contacted. Also, they can work out some foods that will be great for after his break time. If he is low (and hopefully you can provide that information), they may suggest a bigger snack than some free foods. Actually I am at a loss for ideas for free foods that would be appropriate for school and other kids right now.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Social Issues: School and Daycare