From California, USA:

I have been a type 1 diabetic since I was 13. I am now 34 and am appalled at how the insurance companies refuse to cover certain items of necessity to make a diabetics life as normal and risk free as can be. Our insurance company has repeatedly refused to cover items of necessity. When my doctor switched me from Humulin R to Humalog, they repeatedly refused to cover it. Then they required a certified letter from him in to see if it was necessary that I be on this insulin. Why would a doctor order a drug for a patient if he/she didn't deem it necessary? Then, they refused to cover my One Touch test strips and we are still fighting with them over this. How frustrating and expensive for the diabetic! Yes, the insurance does cover some of the care, but in order for us to live a near normal and healthy life, it is almost as if the insurance companies punish us.

I know you may not be able to publish Blue Shield's name so it is placed here at the end of the letter and not used within it. My four year old is currently undergoing testing as we speak, to see if he now also has diabetes.

I agree with you completely! We clinicians spend a lot of time these days with health insurance concerns and approvals for care and prescriptions. I can only imagine how frustrated you feel.

I would suggest not being quiet about it, and contacting your insurance company about the problems you have been having. There is usually a "complaints" department. Also, depending on your state, and the home office of your insurance company, there may be mandated reimbursement for diabetes supplies. Find out from a diabetes educator in your state what is required of the insurance companies. If you have a choice of health plans, then find out which would offer the best care for you.

Posted to Social Issues: Insurance/Costs