Question:

From Fredericksburg, Virginia, USA:

Are the standards for blood glucose levels different between adults and young children? My daughter has a blood glucose level of about 148 before going to bed last night, and before eating lunch today. (She did eat breakfast.) When I took it before breakfast I got a reading of 41, but the sample may not have been enough, and I didn't feel the need to traumatize her any more. She has not been diagnosed with diabetes, and I am wondering if I should have more accurate testing done by her pediatrician, or if this is normal for a child her age.

Answer:

Diabetes cannot be diagnosed with a home monitor. While great for managing diabetes, they are not precise enough for diagnosis. That said, 148 is probably not normal. Why are you testing? If diabetes is in the family and it is type 1, then look into testing for antibodies that might predict diabetes.

I think it is a great idea to see your pediatrician.

Posted to Blood Tests and Insulin Injections and Diagnosis and Symptoms