Question:

From London, England:

I am the parent of a 5 year old who was diagnosed 2 years ago. Should my son get a flu shot? I got him one last year in the United States but have recently moved to UK, where medicine is differently practised.

Answer:

This question is a standard one at this time of year. The Department of Health routinely advises that people with diabetes should be immunised. However, this relates mainly to the elderly whom 'flu' may make very ill. Children do not tend to be badly affected therefore I leave it up to parents to make up their own mind about the jab, but don't recommend it.

Posted to Other Medications