Question:

From Jacksonville, Florida, USA:

I'm a 16 year old male who was diagnosed several months ago with type 1 diabetes. I take insulin to control my sugar, but when I don't want to bother with an injection, my sugar levels can go very high (600+). Are there any other ways I can take my insulin other than an injection and where can I find out more information on them?

Answer:

No, there is no other way to give insulin at this time. Researchers are studying other routes, but shots are the only way now. (Please see recent information on inhaled insulin at this web site.)

You might look into an insulin pen if you have not yet done so. It still involves a needle but you may find it more convenient to carry with you. You can not mix insulin in the pens, however, other than the pre-mixed insulin). As you have noticed, when you miss your insulin, your blood sugar goes up and you start to make ketones. To say the least, this is not great for your body. I hope you can find a way to take your insulin faithfully, in spite of the incredible hassle of it all.

LM

Additional Comments from Lois Finney, diabetes dietitian:

Try a pump! If the thought of frequent injections is objectionable, but doing blood glucoses and being diligent about self-care is not, this may be the answer.

LSF

Additional comments added 2 November 1998