From the state of Washington, USA:

I have just been released from the hospital diagnosed with pancreatitis, which has made me diabetic. I am 29 years old. Can I drink cranberry juice? The second ingredient is high fructose corn syrup.

You can include all foods in a well balanced meal plan. You do not say if you left the hospital on a meal plan. Most systems of meal planning allow for the inclusion of most foods by using consistent amounts of foods at each meal each day. Unlimited use of any juice, including cranberry would be contraindicated due to the amount of high fructose corn syrup -- a sugar is a sugar. Check the label on the juice and use a serving as a fruit -- a 15 gram carbohydrate serving is the amount to use for a fruit serving.

If you were unable to visit with a dietitian in the hospital, I would recommend you ask for a referral to see one who is familiar with diabetes. It will be very important to blood sugar control to understand how foods affect blood sugars.

Additional Comments from Lois Finney, diabetes dietitian:

Another thought is to try the light cranberry juices, which taste really good and you can have twice the amount of juice. Regular cranberry juice has a lot of corn syrup (or sugar) added since cranberry juice is so sour.

Additional comment added 2 November 1998