From Wisconsin, USA:

My granddaughter just turned 9 and then was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last week. She began darting her eyes up and sideways while in the hospital and now she nervously touches her fingers to her thumbs over and over. This usually happens when she is not actively doing something. Her mother worries that it may be a neurological problem. Could it be stress?

My best guess is stress since it coincides with the onset of a very stressful condition. I would hope it goes away soon.

It might be something, but I believe you have some time to watch it go away.

Since I haven't seen her, I cannot be giving any real medical advice here.

Posted to Behavior and Stress