From Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA:

My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 3 and 1/2. She is on a constant carb diet. She is very picky in what she will eat. We experience many lows (below 40), and many highs, (above 400), due to her lack of eating. Any suggestions on how to get her to eat more or is there another diet control method?

This is a very frustrating situation and you are not alone. Young children often react this way to "meal plans". I would suggest you try giving her a couple of choices for meals and snacks and involve her as much as possible in the preparation. You might try planning menus with her (and the rest of the family) so she feels she has some input. The other suggestion I have is to use some foods that your are sure she will eat -- could be pudding or fruit or even some cookies if you know how to count them on occasion. Carbs not eaten at a meal may be picked up in a snack (doesn't have to be the same food). Try not to get caught up in the "short order cook" syndrome. Offering the child one option other than the food in front of them is about the limit. Sometimes the insulin can be given after the child eats. I would suggest you find a diabetes team who works with children to get some help with these problems as well. One other suggestion is to purchase the book Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace. There are many good suggestions on diabetes control in this book for all ages of children.

[Editor's comment: If your daughter is using Humalog, you can inject after a meal based on the amount of food eaten. This should help reduce the number of hypos due to insufficient food eaten. JSH]