Question:

From Copenhagen, Denmark:

In a previous answer you say: "Frequent hypoglycemia is to be avoided". That is a phrase often used. But can you please define a bit more exactly what you understand by it?

Would my 7 year old girl's occasional afternoon blood sugar of say 3.6 mmol/L (65 mg/dl) count as frequent hypoglycemia? When this happens, she will feel uneasy and ask us to check her blood sugar, we'll respond by giving her a little milk or fruit and that's it. Should we worry about this?

Answer:

When we refer to frequent hypoglycemia we generally mean daily repeated hypos, not for sure an occasional hypoglycemia. You should not be worry about this if, as you write, they are occasional and your daughter can always recognise it (I'd check the blood sugar though). It's almost impossible to avoid them completely in children, even though good education can improve self management and reduces the frequency and severity of hypoglycemia if you try to get better metabolic control, but the advantages surely outweigh this trouble.