From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

My 7-year-old cat was diagnosed with diabetes several months ago. I am having trouble regulating him. I heard that brewer's yeast could help lower his blood glucose levels. Can you provide any information about this?

Brewer's yeast was in fashion a good many years ago as a source of the chromium containing 'glucose tolerance factor'. It seemed to be of some help in a few Type 2 diabetic people, but was of no value in autoimmune (Type 1A) diabetes.

[Editor's comment: We got nowhere trying to find specific information about whether brewer's yeast does anything worthwhile in feline diabetes, but based on the human experience as described by Dr. O'Brien, I wouldn't attempt to introduce this as a new food item to a diabetic cat unless there's a darned good reason. Many seven-year old kitties (in my experience) are fussy eaters anyhow, and unless a endocrine veterinarian comes up with some specific information, I'd forget about this idea. WWQ]

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations