From Ohio, USA:

My 5-year-old son's preschool teachers are reluctant to give him specific amounts of the morning snack. They say they don't want to be liable for giving him the wrong amounts. I've given them a list of common snacks and amounts to give my son, but they want me to send in special snacks for him.

I want him to feel like all the other kids. Snacks are brought in by parents, so we don't know ahead of time what the snack will be, although most parents bring fairly common snacks. I have a bag of snacks the teachers can substitute if the snack is unusual. Is it too much of me to ask that the teachers dole out the appropriate amount?

It is not uncommon to find child care professionals who are afraid to get involved with the "eating" aspect of diabetes. There are so many myths attached to what people with diabetes can and should eat.

It sounds like you have done your share to make it easy for them to include your child in the routine snack activities. I believe it is important for your son to not feel different when it comes to eating as well. I usually tell families with newly diagnosed children that they can't kill their child with food-meaning that if they get a little extra now and again, it may make a blood sugar high but it will not do permanent harm. This is usually a great relief to people.

I don't think you should give up on this. Try to explain again how important the issue is to your son. You may need to enlist the help of your health care team to visit with the school personnel as well -- somehow hearing it from the doctor, nurse or dietitian makes it more believable sometimes.

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare and Meal Planning, Food and Diet