From Indiana, USA:

My son is a Type 1 Diabetic. He was diagnosed 2 years ago at age 11. He is very active in several sport programs. My question is about his mid-morning snack. He eats his mid-morning snack at 10:00 A.M. At school he has 2 days of gym class at 30 minutes each. One class is at 9:30 A.M.; the other is as 10:30 A.M. He eats an extra carb snack before gym. His teacher wants to combine his morning snack and gym snack for the same time. Would this cause a problem with raising his blood sugars up too high? He takes his insulin shot at 7:30 A.M.

Good question and certainly much easier on the teacher to combine the snacks. I do not think there should be a problem, but be sure to have blood glucoses monitored both before and after gym and see how he is doing. If you feel he goes too high after the snack, check with the diabetes team. Oftentimes we find parents want to increase insulin or decrease the snack when blood glucoses are high. Keep in mind that the exercise may cause lower blood glucoses later in the day and if there is extra insulin on board, it could get far too low. Again, be sure glucose tabs are available in gym. Please tell your son to keep up the enthusiasm for life and his enjoyment of sports.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Social Issues: School and Daycare