Question:

From Torrance, California, USA:

I am 33 with type 1 diabetes (diagnosed at age 8). I am on the insulin pump using lispro insulin. I check my blood sugar 4-5 times/day. I've recently started hiking and want to try some all day / multi-day trips. How do I keep my monitor/test strips/insulin at the required temperatures?

Answer:

Neither your test strips nor insulin will be affected by other than extreme temperatures so it depends upon where you will be hiking. Keeping meter, strips, etc., in a jacket pocket is usually fine. The pump will presumably be under clothing and next to your body so it will be alright. Spare insulin may be carried in a breast pocket.

Posted to Exercise and Sports