From India:

My daughter is a five years old and she is dependent on insulin injections 2 times a day. I will like to how I can get her pancreas checked whether it is producing the insulin or not. Which tests are possible to find out? She developed diabetes about 8 months ago.

It is not possible to measure residual insulin directly in a person who is receiving insulin by injection. You need to talk to your doctor about arranging a C-peptide test. In Bombay this can probably be done in the clinical biochemistry laboratory at the Apollo or Jaslok hospitals.

When insulin is formed in the body, a much larger molecule called proinsulin is made first. Proinsulin is then divided into insulin itself and another chain of amino acids called C-peptide. Measuring this latter substance reflects the rate at which someone with diabetes may still be producing their own insulin.