Question:

From Plano, Texas, USA:

My 12-year-old daughter has been placed in an accelerated math class, which is proving to be too difficult for her. Her blood sugars have been high since school started in August. I suspect that part of her trouble is the stress she is experiencing from her low grades (not passing) in this class.

In speaking to her counselor and teachers, they seem to imply that 504 does not protect her in this situation. I say anything that adversely affects her health, math class included, is covered by 504. They also say that diabetes does not affect her ability to learn. Since high and low blood sugar can affect ability to focus and concentrate at any given time, I disagree with those comments also.

Answer:

If this class is too difficult for your daughter, then maybe she should not be in the class or maybe she could benefit form some additional help in the subject. Speak to the teachers and guidance counselors for academic advice for your child.

If your daughter's blood sugars have been high since school started, then make the appropriate adjustments in her insulin, etc. Many children need a change in their insulin routine as they go from active summer to more sedentary school patterns.

Stress may affect her blood sugars, so work with her diabetes care provider to find the appropriate regimen for her. Also make sure your daughter is not hypoglycemic during her class, as this could greatly affect her ability to learn and perform at school.

LM

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare