From Gales Ferry, Connecticut, USA:

My son is 14 and has had Type 1 for three years. He sees a pediatric endocrinologist. At what age would you recommend he change to a regular endocrinologist?

Actually pediatric endocrinologists are "regular" endocrinologists.

Children are not grown at 14 or even much later, based on professional and personal experience.

The other day, I saw an internist friend as I pulled a growth chart from my hospital mailbox. It had growth data on it for a patient I was going to see. The internist said he hadn't paid any attention to one of them since his third year in medical school. At 14 boys are not finished growing and I pay a lot of attention to them. Children are different and have different needs. Those needs continue until very late in adolescence.

I think established patients should be followed until they are adults. I think new patients should be sent to a pediatrician until late high school if they are well on the way to independence.

Additional comments from Lynn Wilson, diabetes nurse specialist:

I would say around age 18-21 years depending on relationship with current endocrinologist, plans for leaving for college, etc.

Additional Comments from Heather Speer, CRC Coordinator:

In our practice we recommend switching to an adult endo at age 18, mostly because as a children's hospital our charter says to treat until 18. But this is a good age to transfer responsibility to your college age kid and introduce them to a personal physician who can stay with their case.

Answer from Linda Mackowiak, diabetes nurse specialist:

If your son has a good relationship with your pediatric endocrinologist, I would not change until he is a late adolescent/ young adult. The relationship is crucial through the puberty years, as is the expertise in the care of diabetes in adolescence.

Additional comments added 10 Nov 1998 and 2 Dec 1998