From Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA:

I was recently tested for C-peptide response to a "standard mixed meal" which consisted of a can of Sustacal. The reading for C-peptide went from 0.5 nmol/l at the start to 0.7 nmol/l at 1 hour (plasma blood glucose went from 130 to 260). I have read much about the C-peptide test on this and other sites on the Web, but very little comparison of normal vs. abnormal responses in terms of the numbers.

Do these numbers indicate a normal, excessive, or inadequate C-peptide response?

I think inadequate, but I would ask your doctor for the normals in his lab. Most think of the change in C-peptide in response to a challenge, usually a standard meal, as the best way to describe the insulin secreting ability of your pancreas. I think yours looks small. Still, check with your doctor.