From Sandusky, Ohio, USA:

I am a 28 year old female and a type 1 diabetic for 23 years. I've been on the insulin pump for 2 months now. I was told that for every 15 grams of carbohydrate I eat, that I was supposed to take 2 units of Humalog insulin. Well, these past few weeks, after nearly every time I eat (and only when I eat -- the basals are fine), I have been hypoglycemic! Could there be a reason why now my insulin requirements are changing? Also, my HA1C back 4 months ago was 13.1% and almost a month ago it was 8.6%. Could this have anything to do with it?

Also, I have completely no desire to drink water, pop, or anything at all anymore. I'm concerned because I don't drink usually over 36 ounces a day! Drinking is forced at this point. Is there a medical reason to back this up?

Congratulations on your fantastic lowering of your blood glucoses. The high levels you had before, as shown with an A1c of 13%, probably is why you were so thirsty -- you needed the extra water then since your blood glucoses were too high. Now your A1c is so much improved you are probably not as needy of the water and just can drink a normal amount.

As far as your insulin doses, these may change as you become in better control and they also may change over time. You might not need 1 unit of Humalog per 15 grams of carbohydrate -- you may need only 1 unit per 20 or even 30 grams of carbohydrate. Check with your diabetes team and they can help you. Be sure to test your blood glucoses before and after your meals so they can then help you determine your correct insulin dose. Again, congrats -- keep up the great work.

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Hypoglycemia