Question:

From Cincinnati, Ohio, USA:

I am going to start using an insulin pump. My doctor says for me to decide between Minimed or Disetronic. Which is the best?

Answer:

Both insulin pumps are FDA approved and both work. They are different, and have different features and different policies regarding distribution and warranty.

I would use the analogy, Ford or Chevrolet, but actually Mercedes or BMW would be better. They are both quality products.

Buy the one that fits your needs. I think informed patients make good choices from quality products. I tend to have my preferences, but then that would be for me as a consumer.

[Editor's comment: You should contact both Disetronic and MiniMed and ask for their product literature. Each should have a local representative with whom you can talk. Also, you may wish to visit the Pump Users Chat Room and ask about everyone's experiences. JSH]

Posted to Insulin Pumps