From Cincinnati, Ohio, USA:

I am going to start using an insulin pump. My doctor says for me to decide between Minimed or Disetronic. Which is the best?

Both insulin pumps are FDA approved and both work. They are different, and have different features and different policies regarding distribution and warranty.

I would use the analogy, Ford or Chevrolet, but actually Mercedes or BMW would be better. They are both quality products.

Buy the one that fits your needs. I think informed patients make good choices from quality products. I tend to have my preferences, but then that would be for me as a consumer.

[Editor's comment: You should contact both Disetronic and MiniMed and ask for their product literature. Each should have a local representative with whom you can talk. Also, you may wish to visit the Pump Users Chat Room and ask about everyone's experiences. JSH]

Posted to Insulin Pumps