From Nebraska, USA:

I got diabetes at the age of 11. I'm now 15. The question that I have is how can I stop myself from eating what all my other friends are eating? I feel like I'm in denial, because every day when I wake up I don't want to check my blood sugar and most of the time I don't. A few months ago, I went to a Diabetes Center that really helped me when I was there but when I came home there was no one to tell what to do so I just didn't do it. How can I make myself do it?

It doesn't sound like you are in denial. You seem to know what you should do; it just sounds like you are tired of doing it! That makes you one hundred percent normal for a 15 year old.

You have a very good point, however. How does someone make themselves "do the right thing"? It isn't easy. Doing what is right for your diabetes, takes commitment. You cannot do it to please your parents. You cannot do it to please the folks at the diabetes center. You can only do it for you. Aren't you worth it? Don't you have a right to feel good and have energy? Isn't it just as important to take care of yourself as it is to take care of others you love?

These are the essential questions you must answer. Then, doing the "right thing" becomes doing the best you can, one day at a time. We support you. Now you must give yourself support! You can do it.

Posted to Behavior