From New York, USA:

My daughter is 12 years old, and has had Type 1 diabetes for about 2 years. She will be starting Field Hockey at her Junior High School next week. We are informed that the games will not end until after her normal dinner time. In addition, away games may keep her out until 8:30 P.M. at night.

She currently takes 25 NPH and 8 Humalog at breakfast (6:30 A.M.), 10 Humalog at supper (5:30 P.M.) and 13 Lente at bedtime (9 P.M.)

How do we keep her sugar levels up with no dinner, and all that exercise?

There are a couple of issues I need to clarify before I can answer this question.

1. Will Field Hockey be every day after school or only one day a week?

2. Are practices 4 to 5 days a week and ends before dinner and are games are 1 day a week and go through dinner?

It is important that you let your daughter's health care professional know what your daughter's schedule will be in order to make appropriate adjustments in her insulin regimen. Remember, adjustments need to be individualized. What works for one may not work the same for another. In addition, your health care professional may have a different philosophy.

Insulin Adjustments and Exercise

If Field Hockey is only going to be one day a week, around 4 in the afternoon, it would be beneficial for your daughter to eat a bigger snack and not cut back on the morning NPH. However, if your daughter is going to be playing 4 to 5 days a week at 4 in the afternoon, it would be more beneficial to cut back on her morning NPH (which will be working at the time of exercise) all seven days of the week. Remember: you don't want to feed the insulin if this is going to be a routine time for exercise.

There is one other scenario: After a lot of exercise or evening exercise you may want to cut back on her before supper Humalog or Regular.

Again, you need to discuss this with your Health Care Professional. Further adjustments may need to be made.

Posted to Exercise and Sports