Question:

From Michigan, USA:

My son is 3 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 6 months ago. We were instructed to give him Pork insulin, both R and N. Now I have heard they are doing away with pork insulin. First of all, what is the difference between pork insulin and the other types of insulin? Secondly, what do you think he will be put on in place of it, and how difficult of a transition will it be? By the way, he is doing wonderfully.

Answer:

My understanding is that mixed beef pork insulin will be soon withdrawn from the market, but that 100% pork insulin will still be availble.