Question:

From Connecticut, USA:

My six year old son was recently diagnosed with "hypoglycemic ketoacidosis (low blood sugar)" which I understand is rare for his age group. His symptoms landed him in the hospital for three days. I can't seem to find any information on this subject.

Answer:

Ketotic hypoglycaemia is quite a common problem in young children. If they have had a long period of fasting then their blood sugar may fall and not be pushed up by the body's hormone response because stores of glycogen (starchy carbohydrate) in the liver and muscles are low. Ketones are acids that are produced as alternative fuel. The easiest way to avoid this problem is to give a starchy bedtime snack. Particular risk periods are at the time of upper respiratory tract infections etc. when appetite is low. Children grow out of the problem.

There is no relationship with diabetes.