From Islamabad, Pakistan:

My 12 year old was diagnosed with diabetes type 1 three years ago. Her doctor has put her on insulin shots 4 times a day starting this year. This is really very disturbing for her. Is there anyway that we could get rid of these injections? Will she ever be normal again? Can just diet help?

At this time, insulin injections are the essential treatment for type 1 diabetes. We need insulin, and without it we can not live. Changes in nutrition will not replace insulin, although nutrition is an important component of the treatment of type 1 diabetes.

You can help your child to do the best she can with our current treatment, and keep a healthy optimism about improvements in diabetes care in the future.

I would also suggest speaking to a counselor, clergy or dear friend about your feelings about the diabetes. By helping yourself cope, you will be helping your child as well.