Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Nov 1998

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | Dec 14 | Nov 14 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I'm a diabetic at University and because of this, have been advised to have a flu jab and a pneumococcal vaccination by the university. Should I have the vaccinations? (29 Nov 1998)

2. My diabetic loved-one happens to be a 23 pound cat named Max. It has been impossible to find 1/4 cc syringes since Terumo stopped making them. Can you suggest a company? (29 Nov 1998)

3. Approximately two hours ago, my six year old daughter was diagnosed with "juvenile diabetes". My husband and I are considered "low" income and are uninsured, and we're scared! (29 Nov 1998)

4. What are the symptoms of kidney problems associated with type 2 diabetes in a senior citizen? (29 Nov 1998)

5. My teenage son was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago. He was living with his father at the time; now he's going to live with me and I need more information on the diet and sugar content of foods, etc. (29 Nov 1998)

6. Our grandson was born several days ago. Two days later, he was totally lethargic and his blood sugar crashed to 14. Do you have any info for the cause and/or treatment for a week old baby? (28 Nov 1998)

7. Somewhat over a year ago, shortly after his third birthday, my son was put in the hospital with pneumonia, and an ear infection. He also had a blood sugar level of 405. Does this case sound like a child in the early stages of Type 1 diabetes? (28 Nov 1998)

8. I have a four year old daughter who has had problems with her blood sugars for almost 2 years now. How long can a child go before they can actually become diabetic? (28 Nov 1998)

9. Our six year-old daughter has been wetting the bed 2-3 times a week for the past month. The pediatrician ordered a urinalysis which was negative for glucose and infection. Should I still be concerned about diabetes or can I safely rule it out due to the negative urinalysis? (28 Nov 1998)

10. Nearly 2 weeks ago our 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. After 2-3 doses of insulin while in the hospital her blood sugar normalized and has remained so. Her pediatrician has decided that no insulin therapy is required at this time. (28 Nov 1998)

11. I am 12 years old and about three weeks ago I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Is there anyway that I could try out the insulin pump? (28 Nov 1998)

12. My father is 80 years old with type 2 diabetes. Yesterday morning his blood sugar was at 33. He drank some orange juice and it went to 128. At 3 p.m it was at 258 and at 9 p.m. it was 198. This morning it was at 129. Is he out of control? (28 Nov 1998)

13. I first developed symptoms of diabetes about 3 months ago, and was diagnosed 4 weeks ago. I'm 44. My endocrinologist says he is happy with the way my blood sugars are coming down. The problem is blurriness of vision. (28 Nov 1998)

14. I have a friend with diabetes. He's asked me to make some sort of sugar level tracking chart. Can you tell me where I might find one? (28 Nov 1998)

15. I am 27 years old and have had diabetes since I was 5. I have recently gotten married and am anticipating having a baby. I would like to know if I could possibly have a normal baby and when would be the best time to try and conceive? (28 Nov 1998)

16. Is there a specific number of births a diabetic mother can endure before causing serious problems? (27 Nov 1998)

17. I am in the 13th week of my fourth pregnancy. In my second pregnancy I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. My second and third children have had episodes of seizures. Doctors say their blood sugar levels were too low. What are the odds of my fourth baby having the same problems? (27 Nov 1998)

18. I had an elevated sugar level on my one hour non-fasting test. If I find out on my fasting test that I do have Gestational Diabetes, will this effect my ability to breastfeed my son after he is born? (27 Nov 1998)

19. My 11-year-old son was diagnosed 3 days ago. We call the doctor in the morning and in the evening for his dosage of insulin. We will be doing this for about 2 to 3 months, I'm told. I would like to start trying to calculate his dosage myself for practice. (25 Nov 1998)

20. My 5 1/2 year old grandson was recently switched to Humalog. However the rollercoaster ride continues with lows at 3 A.M. (25 Nov 1998)

21. My son is 18 years old and has had Type 1 since he was 9 years old. I've noticed that he is gaining weight a lot lately and I'm obviously concerned. He hasn't been keeping track of anything, used to rely on his meter but doesn't use it that often anymore either. (25 Nov 1998)

22. Two months ago at my 4 year old daughter's checkup she showed sugar in her urine. A repeat dipstick was done that also came positive for sugar. Just recently, she has been exhibiting signs of extreme thirst. What are your recommendations for further testing and possible diagnoses? (25 Nov 1998)

23. My friend is 25-26 years old and was diagosed with diabetes very early in her childhood. She has problem whith her eyes, her retina is starting to detach from the eye and they are asking whether her crystalin can be surgically replaced -- where, how, what are the chances? (25 Nov 1998)

24. I've a 13 years old sister that is diabetic. Which kind of insulin do you suggest for a 13 year old girl? Which are the possibilities to find a cure for diabetes in the future? (22 Nov 1998)

25. I have recently been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. I figure my chances for having to take insulin for the remainder of my pregnancy are pretty good. What are the risks associated with insulin for both myself and my unborn? (22 Nov 1998)

26. I use an insulin pump with Regular insulin. I was wondering if I could use the new fast acting Humalog insulin. (22 Nov 1998)

27. My daughter has been a type 1 diabetic for 8 years and is having problems trying to keep her blood sugars level and weight down. Any suggestions? (22 Nov 1998)

28. What is a good fasting reading for a diabetic? (21 Nov 1998)

29. My 9 year old niece was diagnosed 3 months ago. Her insulin had to be decreased until she has gone off it totally. She is tested 4 times daily and has stayed in range with no insulin for the past month. Is this unusual? (21 Nov 1998)

30. My 25 year old son was diagnosed 4 weeks ago with Type 1 diabetes. Last week his doctor said that maybe he has Type 2 diabetes. Is it possible for him to have Type 2? (21 Nov 1998)

31. My 9 year old daughter was diagnosed 18 months ago. This year in school, she eats her lunch at 1:00 P.M., comes home and has her snack at 3:45 P.M. When we do her supper blood test, she is often high. Any ideas how to bring her blood sugars down? (21 Nov 1998)

32. My daughter is eight and has had Type 1 diabetes since 3 and a half. She is also hearing impaired, and wears a hearing aid. I have heard there is a diabetes that also brings deafness. (21 Nov 1998)

33. If I keep my blood sugars around 5-7 mmol/l [90-126 mg/dl], what is my average life expectancy? Everyone seems to want to avoid answering this question, including my doctor. (21 Nov 1998)

34. How do you handle fats when counting carbohydrates? (21 Nov 1998)

35. My daughter is 17 and has had diabetes since 10. She has been spilling albumin in her urine. Her doctor has put her on Prinivil 2.5 mg. How serious is this situation? (21 Nov 1998)

36. Are their any research projects dealing with Distal Neuropathy related to diabetes going on? (21 Nov 1998)

37. I have 5 year old diabetic daughter, she was diagnosed at age 3. It seems just recently (in the past few months) she has developed temper tantrums right before dinner cause she doesn't like what we are having. (21 Nov 1998)

38. My husband, aged 28, is on an "intensive insulin therapy". Over the past 2 1/2 years, he has experienced 10 episodes of severe hypoglycemia. Now he's considering substituting his "Regular" with Humalog. Is there any evidence that such a change could reduce the risk of these severe reactions? (16 Nov 1998)

39. What are the causes of type 2 diabetes, and how can you avoid getting it? (16 Nov 1998)

40. Where can I get the best care for my situation? I am 28 years old, type 1 diabetic for 15 years. I experienced 3 miscarriages back about 7 and 8 years ago. I was told my levels for Lupus were raised but that it was "clinically insignificant". (16 Nov 1998)

41. I have been using Humalog for as long as it has been available but my doctor put me on Regular again. Is this Okay? (16 Nov 1998)

42. I have an 11 month old son and my husband has Type 1 diabetes. What are signs I should look for with my baby to indicate diabetes? Should I have him tested periodically just to make sure he isn't getting it or is there some test I could do at home? (16 Nov 1998)

43. What do you mean by normal, normal - good? or normal - bad? or normal - we don't know? Should we be concerned about an elevated blood sugar level after eating? How concerned? (16 Nov 1998)

44. Why did I get diabetes? Is it because of inheritance? Could I have avoided if I exercised? Can I hope to get it cured for life? Does Allopathy, Homeopathy, or Ayur Veda offer a cure? (16 Nov 1998)

45. I have type 2 diabetes, am 70 years old and suffer from insomnia. Is there an connection between these two conditions, and if so what can I do to help the insomnia? (14 Nov 1998)

46. My 4 1/2-year old nephew was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 2 1/2. Within hours of his birth, his blood sugar "crashed" and he remained in the hospital for 5 days because his blood sugar was not stabilized. Could he have had diabetes then? If not, what could have caused this? (14 Nov 1998)

47. My grandaughter is 4 years old and has been diagnosed for about 6 months. She is starting to complain about sore joints. Is arthritis a complimentary disease to diabetes? (14 Nov 1998)

48. I wonder if insulin dosages should remain the same if switching to human insulin from Pork/Beef insulin, or if the the dosage should be based on a percentage. (14 Nov 1998)

49. Can high blood sugars cause nausea during aerobic exercise? If not, what could be the cause? (14 Nov 1998)

50. I need a diet plan for diabetes. I can't seem to locate one. (14 Nov 1998)

51. I have a friend that is 15 years old and has Type 1. He wants to play basketball on a team but won't admit it. Is there any way possible that he could play basketball, and it still be alright physically? (14 Nov 1998)

52. My 10 year old son was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes; two days later, we also learned he has hypothyroidism. I am not finding a lot of information on children that have both. (14 Nov 1998)

53. I am writing in regards to my 14 year old sister-in-law. She was diagianosed three years ago as a type 1 diabetic. The problem is we have been unable to get her to realize the seriousness of the situation. (14 Nov 1998)

54. My wife is 46 years old and has had type 1 since the age of 10. Lately, she has been forced to switch from beef-pork to pure pork insulin, causing her reactions to escalate from very occasional to multiple times per week. Now we can't even obtain the pure pork insulin. Is there no source left in the entire world for beef-pork insulin? (14 Nov 1998)

55. I am a 19 year old girl living in the province of Milan. My father is diabetic with end stage renal disease on dialysis. I'd like to receive all the information regarding the new cure "lispro" as soon as you can. (11 Nov 1998)

56. My teenage son was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago. His doctor is also a diabetic and he suggested the insulin pump. What do you think about the pump? (11 Nov 1998)

57. They diagnosed me with diabetes 4 years ago. I am 63 years old. If I take care of myself, lower my sugar to normal levels, is it reversible? (11 Nov 1998)

58. I have 3 children, 2 of whom are overweight: they are 11 years and 10 years old. Should I have them tested? What should I look for? (11 Nov 1998)

59. I have had a glucose tolerance test and a clinical blood test which were both normal. However, my blood glucose meter which I test with at home consistently show levels of over 10mmol/l. What could be wrong? (11 Nov 1998)

60. My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes 1 year ago. Over the last three weeks we have increased her morning NPH from 29 units to 34 units because we have been getting readings of 17.0 to approximately 25.0 at suppertime. Do you have any advice for us? (11 Nov 1998)

61. My best friend is 25 years old and has diabetes. A few days ago she found out that she is pregnant. She sustained kidney damage with this last pregnancy. They almost lost her twice. She doesn't want to have an abortion but she is afraid if she doesn't she will die. (11 Nov 1998)

62. I am very concerned about my nephew. He is 11 years old, and was diagnosed with diabetes 3 years ago. He does not appear to care about his health and I don't think my sister sees the problem. (10 Nov 1998)

63. I am 17 years old, and was diagnosed 10 years ago. What are the chances of me suffering complications? (10 Nov 1998)

64. I am experiencing morning intense localised headaches and nausea from 8 A.M. onwards which lessen later in the day. Are these symptoms likely to be side effects of the insulins? (10 Nov 1998)

65. I am a school nurse and have a 16 year old female student with type 1 diabetes. Her blood sugars run very high. They remain high even after taking insulin or exercising and even if she doesn't eat after administering her insulin. How can this be possible? (10 Nov 1998)

66. I just turned 8 years old and have type 1 diabetes since August 4, 1998. Would a pancreas transplant cure my diabetes? (10 Nov 1998)

67. Since my 6 year old daughter started school (all day 1st grade), her lunch numbers are very high (300-400). Can stress be causing the high numbers? (10 Nov 1998)

68. I am 10 years old. I have Type 1 diabetes. If I eat a spoonful of peanut butter before I eat something sweet, will it lower the amount of sugar that is put into my system? (10 Nov 1998)

69. Can Type 1 diabetes go undetected and does it also cause mood swings and irrational behavior? (10 Nov 1998)

70. I am 35 years old, pregnant with our first child and diagnosed with gestational diabetes in my 28th week. I was told I have extra amniotic fluid. Can this adversely affect my baby or me? (10 Nov 1998)

71. I am 18 years old. I've had Type 1 for 18 months. I take N in the morning and at before bed. I also take R in the morning and at supper. My blood sugar levels have risen above 13 mmol/l for the past two weeks. (10 Nov 1998)

72. By any chance, do you have any latest information on Rezulin? My husband has Type 2 diabetes and I have heard pros and cons. (7 Nov 1998)

73. My partner, age 47, has type 2 diabetes. He is on no medication and is trying to control by diet and exercise alone, without much luck. His blood sugar readings in the morning before eating breakfast and then 3 hours after breakfast are always very high: range 175 to 220. (7 Nov 1998)

74. My fiance and I are getting very serious. The subject of having children has come up several times. He has had diabetes since he was in 9th grade. If we were to have children what, if anything, could we do to prevent them from getting diabetes? (7 Nov 1998)

75. I'm a 20 year old female, and have had type 1 for 5 years and 3 months (approximately). My doctor just prescribed Glucophage (500mg) twice daily. I'm concerned with the side effects of this drug. (7 Nov 1998)

76. My daughter is 14. She started out on insulin, then was changed to oral medication until just two months ago. She is experiencing a great deal of nausea at meal time. Can insulin cause nausea? (7 Nov 1998)

77. My son of almost 4 has type 1. His blood sugar is very unstable -- a lot of high and lows every day. How old must he be before he can start using an insulin pump? Is the insulin pump the best form of treatment for the type of problems I described? (7 Nov 1998)

78. My 14 year old is confused. Should we count carbs or follow the exchange diet? We have two dietitians, each telling us something different. (6 Nov 1998)

79. My 10-year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes seven months ago. Since that time she has frequently complained of headaches (this did not happen in the past). Is there a connection? (6 Nov 1998)

80. Are there any laws regulating how often a 12 year old with Type 1 diabetes has to see a doctor within a year? (6 Nov 1998)

81. One day one of my friends offered me a lolly. I know diabetes is nothing to be ashamed about, but I don't want them to know. I said no but they keep offering. What should I say? (6 Nov 1998)

82. My 3 year old (almost 4 year old) was just diagnosed. Over the last few days after her injection, she has been developing a itchy rash. Her doctor has said that one in a million people are allergic to insulin. What are the options if it is? (6 Nov 1998)

83. Why is it that diabetics tremble, sweat, feel anxious and are confused when they go into hypoglycaemia? (2 Nov 1998)

84. Can you tell me where I can find the symptoms of low blood sugar? (2 Nov 1998)

85. I have a three year old son who was recently was hospitalized due to 2 days of low sugars. He was found to have a virus. We also found out that his A1C was 5.7. I was told by other parents that this is too low for his age. (2 Nov 1998)

86. My 9 year old daughter was diagnosed about 10 months ago. Recently a friend gave my daughter a plastic gadget that you use with your regular syringe. (2 Nov 1998)

87. My daughter and grandson live with us. He is 10 months old and was just diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. I think it would be good to have some other parents for my daughter to chat with, who have children of this age with diabetes. (2 Nov 1998)

88. I was diagnosed with diabetes at age 21 (Type 1). I have had occurances of real strong smelling urine and am wondering what could be causing this. (2 Nov 1998)

89. I also am wondering (as someone newly concerned about diabetes) whether anyone has made a diet soda that does not taste like chemical-plant effluent! Are there any standard diet pops that are considered pretty palatable? (2 Nov 1998)

90. I recently switched insulin types and have a lot of insulin left over that I never opened, all still in date. I'd like to donate this insulin and can not seem to find any info on this. Are there any organizations that accept sealed insulin for donation? (2 Nov 1998)

91. I have a 15 month old son who has diabetes and like all kids he loves juice. What kind of juice or Kool-Aid should I give him and how much? (2 Nov 1998)

92. Does Brewer's Yeast work like cornstarch to slow glucose absorption? (1 Nov 1998)

93. Is stress a cause of diabetes? (1 Nov 1998)

94. Our daughter is 3 1/2 and diagnosed a year ago. She was in the middle of potty training when diagnosed. After a few months she finally got trained except at night. Almost a year has gone by and she is close to 4 and still wears a pull-up at night. (1 Nov 1998)

95. My son is six and a half. He has had diabetes for a year and a half. I am nervous about his height. (1 Nov 1998)

96. I am 18 years old suffering from diabetes. My blood sugars are not controlled. And according to the latest research, what is the better treatment for me? Kindly tell me how can I get rid of this disease. (1 Nov 1998)

97. Can Ritalin affect blood sugar levels in a girl, age 11 taking both NPH and Regular insulin? She has very unstable sugar levels. She also is taking a thyroid hormone pill in the morning. (1 Nov 1998)

98. Would Human Growth Hormone supplementation help a diabetic have more energy and lose more fat? Do diabetics produce less HGH? (1 Nov 1998)

99. My 14-year old daughter is Type 1. She wonders why, if insulin helps metabolize food, weight loss is a symptom of diabetes? (1 Nov 1998)

100. I'm 26 years old and have had type 1 diabetes for three years. Will my needed insulin intake throughout the years gradually rise or will there be a point where it reaches a plateau? (1 Nov 1998)

101. I have an eight year old son who is overweight, loves to drink tea and soft drinks, and is very active. He eats normally but continues to gain weight. Could he have diabetes? (1 Nov 1998)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts