From North Carolina, USA:

I have an eight year old son who is overweight, loves to drink tea and soft drinks, and is very active. He eats normally but continues to gain weight. Could he have diabetes?

If he doesn't have symptoms of excess thirst and urination it is unlikely your son has diabetes. A simple urine test for sugar can rule this out. Children who develop diabetes usually develop Type 1 diabetes, which is caused by insulin deficiency. These children usually lose weight as part of their symptoms. Although rare, Type 2 diabetes can occur in overweight children. These individuals make insulin, but not enough to keep their blood sugar normal as they do not respond normally to insulin. Being overweight can help bring on type 2 diabetes in a susceptible individual. For many health reasons, I would talk to your child's doctor about appropriate diet and exercise.