From Illinois, USA:

Can Ritalin (a medication used for ADHD) affect blood sugar levels in a girl, age 11 taking both NPH and Regular insulin? She has very unstable sugar levels. She also is taking a thyroid hormone pill in the morning. She works very hard to control her diet and is recently going through a growth spurt.

I don't have any information that would lead me to believe Ritalin could cause blood sugar levels to be unstable.

Certainly the need for Ritalin and the underlying ADHD might be thought to cause some of the problems, but I have no data to support such a thought. Uncontrolled ADHD causes some loss of impulse control, perhaps dietary lapses.

Thyroid disease can change diabetes control. Hypothyroidism causes easier management.

Puberty can certainly change blood glucose. I might suspect that this is the underlying cause since we see changes in control in puberty. Check with your diabetes team, especially look at glucoses and diet.

Posted to Other Medications