From North Carolina, USA:

Our daughter is 3 1/2 and diagnosed a year ago. She was in the middle of potty training when diagnosed. Needless to say she suffered a setback in the training. After a few months she finally got trained except at night. Almost a year has gone by and she is close to 4 and still wears a pull-up at night. Her endo says this is normal for a diabetic toddler. Is that true and is there anything we can do to help her? She runs high at night and the higher she is the more she seems to wet her pants. And wetting her pants (even the pull-up) does seem to bother and upset her.

Hyperglycemia causes increased volumes of urine. I would agree this is a normal phase for your child. It will pass; don't make a big deal about it.

Additional comments from The Editor:

Our daughter was also in the middle of potty training when she was diagnosed, and it did set back her progress by about a year. I have heard similar stories from other parents who have a child who was diagnosed as a toddler.