I have a 15 month old son who has diabetes and like all kids he loves juice. What kind of juice or Kool-Aid should I give him and how much? Also I'm not sure about the type of diabetes he has: all I was told is that he has type A diabetes and that its a juvenile type, meaning he could grow out of it! Is this true? Please help me understand.

You do not mention if your child is on insulin, however Type A diabetes would mean insulin dependent to me and people do not outgrow this kind of diabetes. You may want to clear this up with your doctor or diabetes team.

You are right that most children your son's age love juice -- it is quick energy and it goes in fast, however about 4-6 ounces of juice is all a child his age really needs a day and since it is loaded with sugar it may make his blood sugars shoot up pretty high, especially if you give it between meals by itself. I would encourage you to use less juice -- maybe dilute it with water and encourage your son to drink just plain water for fluids. Some diet drinks can be used as well, but probably should not be used in large amounts. Sometimes when a child drinks less fluids they will eat more solid foods and develop better eating habits. You do not mention if you have a difficult time getting your son to eat solid foods, sometimes the two things do go together.

Additional comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

Another thought is to try the light juices-they taste very good and you can have twice as much juice. There are many kinds out there. Also there is a sugar free hot cider at about 15 calories per cup, so it is a free food that really does taste like apple cider. Although it is very good hot, it would also be wonderful when cold.