From America On-Line:

I also am wondering (as someone newly concerned about diabetes) whether anyone has made a diet soda that does not taste like chemical-plant effluent! Are there any standard diet pops that are considered pretty palatable?

Good question and I know many folks with diabetes do not like diet sodas. A couple of thoughts:

• Lemonade in a restaurant is almost always sweetened with sugar.
  • Also, be aware that iced tea, at least down South, is often sweetened with sugar, so one needs to ask for plain iced tea and then add your own sweetener.
  • Be sure to watch when the drink is dispensed from the machine (say at McDonald's) since the diet drinks are often right next to the regular ones. Keep in mind that the help do not know how important it is for someone with diabetes to be able to account for their carbohydrates.
  • When you order a diet beverage in a sit-down restaurant, and the server brings a big tray of beverages and puts one in front of you, be sure to ask if yours is diet -- many times the help 'kinda forgot' and they will/should replace it.
  • Many restaurants now offer bottled waters, which taste very refreshing.
  • The new sweetener, Sucralose, which folks in Canada say has no aftertaste, is available in diet RC, although I have been unable to find it. It is also in diet Very Fine juices and I tasted one at a recent meeting and it seemed to be very fine (okay, okay).