Question:

From Jacksonville, Florida, USA:

My daughter and grandson live with us. He is 10 months old and was just diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. It has been very difficult for us to find any patterns with regard to the amount of insulin to administer since his feeding habits are so irregular, and we don't know what his honeymoon period is like or if he is in one. I also think it would be good to have some other parents for my daughter to chat with, who have children of this age with diabetes. We currently have no parents in our area that have children close to this age.

Answer:

I do hope your daughter has a good team to assist her with the care of your grandson. She also should be able to ask them for names of others who have a toddler/infant with diabetes in the area. I do not know the kind and timing of the insulin, so am reluctant to give advice on how the insulin and food should be handled. As far as the food issue, please try to make it a non-issue. I hope the team can give you some ideas to do that.

LSF

Additional comments from The Editor:

In the Parents Chat Room you will find many other parents of children with diabetes. The room is busiest in the evenings.

JSH