Question:

From Indiana, USA:

I have a three year old son who was diagnosed with diabetes just over 1 and a half years ago. He recently was hospitalized due to 2 days of low sugars and not eating. He was found to have a virus. But in this we also found out that his A1C was 5.7.

Our pediatric endocrinologist seemed to think this was good and so did we. However, I was told by other parents via the Internet that this is too low for his age. They said he should be around 7. They told me this could mean that he has had too many lows. However, he has ran really good sugars between 100-200. I just need to know if I need to be concerned is this too low for his age?

Answer:

You did not mention what the normal range for hemoglobin A1c is in your lab. However, HgbA1c is an average of blood sugars for the past 2-3 months. In the first year after diagnosis, many children are still in the honeymoon period where their body still makes a lot of insulin and it is often relatively easy to maintain near normal blood sugars (and normal or near normal HgbA1c) without a lot of lows. After the honeymoon period, it is very hard to avoid high blood sugars at this age, so the hemoglobin A1c is rarely normal. If the Hemoglobin A1c is in the normal range, yet your child frequently has some high blood sugars, you may want to make sure he is not having low blood sugars which are going undetected. This is most apt to occur during the night. If your child is not having a lot of low blood sugars, then a normal hemoglobin A1c is "good".

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c