Question:

From St.Lucia'Castries:

Me and my friends always play cricket in my friend's yard. One day one of my friends offered me a lolly. I know diabetes is nothing to be ashamed about, but I don't want them to know. I said no but they keep offering. What should I say?

Answer:

I am glad you asked the question. It sounds like you want the candy, but feel you should not. Also, you do not want your friends to know you have diabetes. I do not know what size of candy you are referring to, but if it is small (size of a quarter or so), you might want to just have the candy. You will be running around and probably use up that extra food. You might want to consider having a special friend be aware of your diabetes since sometime you may have a low blood glucose and need some help.

LSF

Posted to Other Social Issues