Question:

From Durham, North Carolina, USA:

My 14 year old is confused. Should we count carbs or follow the exchange diet? We have two dietitians, each telling us something different.

Answer:

We do often integrate the 2 systems. Basically, the Exchange system gives a good background for the non-carbohydrate foods, as portion sizes of meat and fats. It also is a good starting point for information on carbohydrate content of foods. So, I would suggest that you talk with the dietitians involved and see if they can help you work that out. I think the dietitian who wants to do the carbohydrate counting might be more open to working with the Exchange system, rather than the other way around, but I could be wrong.

LSF