Question:

From Durham, North Carolina, USA:

My daughter is 14 and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes nearly 3 years ago. She started out on insulin, then was changed to oral medication (glipizide) until just two months ago. She is taking two insulin shots per day -- a mixture of NPH and R. The past two months that she's been back on insulin she is experiencing a great deal of nausea at meal time. The nausea is preventing her from eating like she should. Her doctors have no explanation and say that insulin doesn't cause nausea. I've been told it can. Can insulin cause nausea? What should we do?

Answer:

No, insulin does not cause nausea, though some of the oral hypoglycemic medications can. Low blood sugar sometimes causes nausea. It is highly unlikely your child has any gastrointestinal complications related to diabetes at this time.

I suggest you look for causes unrelated to her diabetes.