Question:

From Ellensburg, Washington, USA:

My fiance and I are getting very serious. The subject of having children has come up several times. He has had diabetes since he was in 9th grade. I guess what I am asking is, if we were to have children what, if anything, could we do to prevent them from getting diabetes? Are there any medical solutions out there that can help us?

Answer:

The risk of you and your fiancee's son to eventually develop type 1 is around 6%, not terribly likely. So far, we can only "roughly" predict the disease in a given individual, and no one has come up with any "magic bullet" to prevent the diabetes.