Question:

From Minnesota, USA:

I am 35 years old, pregnant with our first child and diagnosed with gestational diabetes in my 28th week. I was told I was measuring large for dates and my clinic decided to do an ultrasound to determine the size of our baby. The technician said he was measuring fine (3lbs. 7 ozs. at 30 weeks) and the reason for my measuring "large" was that I have extra amniotic fluid. Can this adversely affect my baby or me?

Answer:

The increased amount of amniotic fluid is common with diabetes and pregnancy. This reflects increased urine output by the fetus. It should not directly affect the baby or you. However, if the amount of fluid becomes excessive then you may be at risk for preterm labor. This can be easily followed with ultrasound.

Posted to Family Planning