Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

Since my 6 year old daughter (who has had Type 1 diabetes since she was 1) started school (all day 1st grade), her lunch numbers are very high (300-400). On the weekend they are fine. I know she eats her snack at the same time every day and she is the only one eating at this time. Can stress be causing the high numbers?

Answer:

I would not rule out stress, but a couple of other ideas:

• Is she maybe eating more for her snack than is in her meal plan (you can see what she eats on the weekend, but not during the week-maybe friends give her a little bit more of something)?

• Is she more active at home?

• Is her insulin given at the same time on the weekends as during the week? Often times it is given later on the weekends.

• Are the breakfasts the same overall content, especially with regards to carbohydrate?

If none of these apply, I would suggest a consult with her diabetes team.

LSF

Additional comments from The Editor:

We have always had to increase our daughter's insulin when she starts school in the fall because she is less active than when she's home. This is quite common.

JSH

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Stress