From Florida, USA:

I just turned 8 years old and have type 1 diabetes since August 4, 1998. I recently read in the newspaper of a man who was in a bad car accident and needed to have a liver, pancreas, and small colon transplant. My question is, if he can have a pancreas transplant, would a pancreas transplant cure my diabetes?

A pancreas transplant would treat your diabetes, but unfortunately pancreas transplantation is not yet indicated in children. This is because of the need for taking immunosuppressive drugs that would lower your immune defenses. Since you would have to take these drugs for the rest of your life, there would be a very high risk of development of complications, such as infections and cancer.

There are, however, several new strategies under investigation to allow for transplantation without the continuous use of immunosuppressive drugs.

Should one of these strategies be successful in the future, then pancreas or islet cell transplantation will be indicated also in children such as yourself.

Posted to Research: Cure