Question:

From Buffalo,New York, USA:

I am 17 years old, and I have type 1 diabetes. I was diagnosed 10 years ago this month. What are the chances of me suffering complications? Also, what is the probability that I will die younger than someone without diabetes?

Answer:

The rate of diabetic complications seems to have sharply declined over the last decade, quite probably because of better and integrated medical approach towards diabetes and its complications (e.g., intensified insulin therapy, antihypertensive agents, laser therapy) even though mortality seems to remain a little bit higher among type 1 diabetics compared to other people.