Question:

From the United Kingdom:

I have had a glucose tolerance test and a clinical blood test which were both normal. However, my blood glucose meter which I test with at home (under the advice of the BDA) consistently show levels of over 10mmol/l. This is accompanied by symptoms, e.g., thirst, needing to urinate frequently, constant hunger. I have also lost a lot of weight, my periods have stopped, and I have tingly hands and feet and leg cramps. My meter has been checked at the diabetes clinic a couple of times, and it is working properly, it is calibrated correctly, and I test very carefully. The clinic told me that the GTT ruled out diabetes, but the BDA told me if I'm still having symptoms and high sugars, it can't be anything else. All I know is I don't feel at all well, so what could be wrong? I'm 28 and have no prior history of diabetes in my family. Please help, I'm very confused!

Answer:

At a first glance, I really don't understand why you feel the BDA has advised you to test blood sugar at home with a portable meter if your glucose tolerance test and laboratory blood sugar testing did rule out diabetes. You cannot have symptomatic high blood sugars (i.e., thirst, needing to urinate frequently, weight lost, etc.) over 10 mmol/l in the presence of a normal GTT and normal lab blood sugar.

What about sugar in the urine? It must be positive if symptoms are present: Check a morning urine sugar if this hasn't been done yet. Regarding what else it can be, I'd advise you to talk to your doctor for more help.