Question:

From Kansas, USA:

I have 3 children, 2 of whom are overweight: they are 11 years and 10 years old. My daughter is always hungry and having to go to the bathroom all the time. She weighs 138 pounds, and is 48 inches tall. My son is 157 pounds; he really doesn't eat much, he doesn't like cookies or candies so I don't understand why he has a weight problem unless something else is going on.

I just took my blood sugar level and it was 131. I had eaten about 2 hours before. I have never done a blood sugar level on them (they will not let me). Should I have them tested? What should I look for?

Answer:

I take it since you are measuring your blood sugar that you have diabetes, or someone in the family has diabetes.

As you indicated, the children are overweight. Is obesity a concern for you personally, or in your family? Is there a family history of diabetes? Obesity is a risk factor for the development of diabetes, but with a family history, the children would be at even greater risk.

You need to know if and when they develop diabetes. They may never, or if they do, it may not be for years. Blood sugar testing will be needed to tell if their values are normal or high. The new ADA criteria criteria for diabetes are 126 mg/dl fasting on two occasions or over 200 with symptoms.

Intervention now consists of diet and exercise. Encourage the whole family.