Question:

From Columbia:

They diagnosed me with diabetes 4 years ago. I am 63 years old. I haven't taken very good care of myself. The last check showed a glucose of 200. If I take care of myself, lower my sugar to normal levels on the days I can and I don't have hyperglycemia, will they resolve, or better said, is it reversible even though not curable this disease?

Answer:

Even though you have had difficulties with diabetes control in the past, if you begin a program of more aggressive blood sugar control now, it is probable that you will be able to delay or prevent future complications from arising.

The DCCT study showed that tightening up the control makes a difference within about three years after starting, and the differences between tight control and sloppy control get greater as the years go by.

I'd suggest to any of my patients that they consider trying for better blood sugar control to live a better life with less worry about diabetes complications.

WWQ