Question:

From Edmonds, Washingtion, USA:

My 10 year old son was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes; two days later, we also learned he has hypothyroidism. I am not finding a lot of information on children that have both. There also some other blood test results we are waiting for but I am not sure on what they could be looking for. As an infant/toddler my son was neutropenic from about 8 months to 2 1/2 years of age: could this be related to the fact he has diabetes now? There is no diabetes or thyroid disorders in mine or my husband's family. Prior to learning of the diabetes my son was having migraines: could this have been due to the diabetes as well? He was diagnosed one week ago.

Answer:

To address the first of your questions, Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease and it is therefore relatively common to have this disorder associated in the same person with other organ-specific autoimmune diseases such as autoimmune thyroid diseases, adrenal insufficiency (Addison's disease), duodenal mucosa (celiac disease) and others. You can find a lot of previous answers on this topic at this website.

I think neutropenia have played no role towards your son's diabetes neither I think migraine had been due to pre-clinical diabetes.

Regarding your and your husband's negative family history for both diabetes and thyroid diseases, that was a classical rule of clinical onset of type 1 diabetes. (Nowadays, along with the increasing knowledge and awareness of the risk for both diseases and more refined diagnostic procedures and screening approaches among normal background population, we are changing the rule and finding more and more pre-clinical or clinical positive cases among family members.)

Posted to Thyroid