Question:

From Michigan, USA:

I wonder if insulin dosages should remain the same if switching to human insulin from Pork/Beef insulin, or if the the dosage should be based on a percentage. I have been told that the dosages should decrease using human.

Answer:

My experience has been that most people do not to change their dosage when switching to human insulin (Humulin or Novolin brands) from Pork/Beef insulin. Frequent blood glucose testing during the switchover would be helpful in determing if a change is needed. You don't say the age of the person that would be using the new insulin, but if it were a very young child who is unable to recognize lows, I might be inclined to drop the dose a little.

LW