Question:

From Bangalore, Karnataka, India:

My age is 28. My Weight is 72 kgs. Height is 1.66 m. I have just (a week back) been diagnosed as having diabetes. I am a programmer (software) and hardly do any exercise. I have a paunch (reasonable size).

My mother had diabetes (She got it at 40 years of age.) My father has diabetes from 17 years (he is 60 years old now). I have two sisters. My grandfather (my mother's father) had diabetes (at around 40 years. My elder sister is 30 years. Her minimum and maximum blood glucose level is 113. My younger sister is 25 years. Her minimum and max blood glucose level is 103. My minimum varies between 100 to 125 (10 hours after food). My Maximum was 190 (2 hours after food).

Question: Why did I get diabetes? Is it because of inheritance? Could I have avoided if I exercised? Can I hope to get it cured for life? Does Allopathy, Homeopathy, or Ayur Veda offer a cure?

Answer:

With the suggestion of being overweight, the rather modest evidence of glucose intolerance and the strong family history, it is quite probable that you have one of the variants of a mild form of inherited diabetes called glucokinase deficiency or MODY2 (Maturity Onset Diabetes in the Young). It cannot be 'cured'; but it can usually be managed just by losing weight and taking enough exercise, and in some cases with the addition of sulphonylurea or biguanide pills. Insulin is not required.

Homeopathic and Ayur Vedic remedies may have a reassuring placebo role; but they are not the way to manage this condition.

It is just possible, especially if you had a lot of tapioca as a child, that your diabetes is secondary to pancreatic calcification and you should perhaps ask your doctor whether he thinks it advisable to have an X-ray of the abdomen.

DO'B

Posted to Genetics and Heredity and Alternative Therapies and Explanations